Sunday, February 15, 2015

Letter of Venacy

In the traditional of the medieval tournament, equestrians today come together to meet and compete with one another, testing their skills against that of their fellow riders.  King Rene wrote several books about the Tournament (his treatise is covered in earlier article on this blog).  Modern medievalists derive a great deal of material from this source which guides us in how we conduct our Tournaments today. One of the traditions which is sometimes practiced is that of issuing Letters of Tenancy and Venancy. Letters of Tenancy are issued by the Tenants, who are those riders who serve as host - they "hold the field" as Tenants. These letters are basically an announcement of the Tournament and a challenge for other riders to answer the call to come and display their skill upon the Tournament field. Letters of Venancy are written as an answer to the call to the Tournament, indicating that the rider will be attending.

In the fall of 2013, I organized an equestrian tournament in the style known as an Emprise.  This is a tournament conducted in the form suggested by King Rene.  This tournament was known as the Saxon Summer Emprise and was held north of Hubbard, Ohio in the Shire of Rivenvale.  As Tenant, I issued my Letter of Tenancy, calling for riders to answer my challenge.  The following is that letter:

Greetings unto noble riders far and wide! Let it be known that  I, Shishido Tora Roku-i, known familiarly as Gozen, as Captain of the Lance of the RavenStar do issue a challenge to those within traveling distance to meet me and my Lance for a Tournament at the Fields of the Saxon Summer festival.
Directly I call upon the following riders who have pledged to take the field with me under the banner of the RavenStar - Lady Meadhbh Inghean Ui Bhaoghill, Lady Alays de Bergerac, and Lady Rowena Macara - to acknowledge their commitment to join me that we may together hold the field against all challengers. United, we shall take the field as tenants. I call upon those noble riders who are able to meet me and my Lance to answer my challenge for glory, honor and the exemplification of chivalry.

Heraldry of the Lance of RavenStar
While we tenants ride beneath the banner of the Lance of the RavenStar, which can be recognized as Or, a mountain gules, in sinister chief a mullet of four points sable, each of the four members of our Lance shall also bear their own arms and colors. Myself, I may be known by my personal colors: Per chevron gules and argent, a riding snaffle-bit Or and an eagle sable.

I take the field as Captain of the Lance, but my accomplishments are also that I stand as the current Æthelmearc King's Equestrian Champion and Æthelmearc's Kingdom Equestrian Officer, and a member of Queen Liadain's Royal Guard. I am also a Companion of the Order of the Fleur, Companion of the Order of the White Horn, Companion of the Order of the Golden Alce, Companion of the Order of the Keystone, and Companion of the Order of the Sycamore. Additionally, by the grace of the Crowns of Æthelmearc and the MidRealm I also serve as an equestrian marshal of the Middle Kingdom. It is for the glory of my Lance, my Kingdom and especially my Queen, that I ride in this Tournament and call all others to meet with me in honorable contest.

My personal arms


Signed by my own hand, this seventh day of August, AS XLVIII.
THL Shishido Tora Gozen
 


No comments:

Post a Comment